Your five step guide
Thank you for your interest in fundraising for Orangutan Appeal UK. Fundraising is a great way to have fun, set yourself a challenge and raise valuable funds to help protect orangutans. We will support you every step of the way!
Here is our five step guide to help get you started.
1) Decide on what you would like to do. There are so many things that you can do to fundraise, the list is endless. Have a look at our Active Fundraising or Other ways to fundraise sections to get some inspiration.
2) Tell us. Once you know what you would like to do, then give us a call or email to let us know your plans. We will help you at every stage with advice, fundraising materials (check out our Supporting our Supporters section) and reminders about why what you are doing to help orangutans is so important.
3) Get stuck in. Now you need to spread the word and tell everyone you know what you’re doing and why. Set up an online fundraising page, download a sponsorship form, send out emails, post on Facebook and Twitter and don’t stop until everyone knows how amazing you are for choosing to do such a fantastic thing and has donated some pennies.
4) Do it! The planning is over, the day has finally arrived! Take a breath, remember why you are doing it and throw yourself in with a smile. Then when it’s all done, sit back, relax and think of all the orangutans you will have helped.
5) Donate! When you have caught your breath back, you will need to send in your hard earned sponsorship money into Orangutan Appeal UK so we can start putting it to good use. For information on online fundraising pages and sending in money, please see our Money Matters section.
When you fundraise for us we will do all we can to help get you prepared and set you up with all the materials you need to make your event a huge success.
You can download our fundraising pack here
You can download Event Poster templates here
We can also provide you with newsletters, adoption leaflets and orangutan photos which you can use to display or to hand out to friends and family to encourage them to support your fundraising efforts for Orangutan Appeal UK.
To request any of these resources, please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or call on 01590 623443.
Our most popular fundraising activities are the most active ones.
We have guaranteed places in the Great North Run, the Great South Run and the Brighton Marathon. To secure one of these places you will need to contact us to check on availability and then we will send you all the information to get you signed up. With these places, please be aware that there is a small registration fee and minimum fundraising targets, which we will of course help you to meet.
You do not need to secure a place with us in order to raise money for us. You can take part in any run anywhere in the world and fundraise for the orangutans.
Just let us know and we will get you sorted with an Orangutan Appeal UK running vest and all the support you will need to get you through it. We regularly post news on upcoming runs on our Facebook page so be sure to check for updates.
Running events coming up this year in the UK.
|Great North West Half Marathon||13.1 mi||22nd February 2015|
|Bath Half Marathon||13.1 mi||1st March 2015|
|Adidas Silverstone Half Marathon||13.1 mi||15th March 2015|
|Reading Half Marathon||13.1 mi||22nd March 2015|
|Hastings Half Marathon||13.1 mi||22nd March 2015|
|Kilomathon Scotland||13.1 mi||29nd March 2015|
|Liverpool Half Marathon||13.1 mi||29th March 2015|
|Brighton Marathon (2 places)**||26.2 mi||12th April 2015|
|Manchester Marathon||26.2 mi||19th April 2015|
|London Marathon||26.2 mi||26th April 2015|
|Blackpool Marathon||26.2 mi||26th April 2015|
|Shakespeare Half Marathon||13.1 mi||26th April 2015|
|Milton Keynes Marathon||26.2 mi||4th May 2015|
|Edinburgh Marathon**||26.2 mi||31st May 2015|
|Edinburgh Half Marathon**||13.1 mi||31st May 2015|
|Great North Run (5 places)**||13.1 mi||13th September 2015|
|Bournemouth Marathon**||26.2 mi||4th October 2015|
|Bournemouth Half Marathon**||13.1 mi||4th October 2015|
|Great South Run (5 places)**||10mi||25th October 2015|
Swimming is a very popular way to fundraise and get fit. There are numerous events all over the world that you could take part in while raising money to help orangutans. Here are a few examples of UK events - Great North Swim, Great London Swim, Great Manchester Swim, Great East Swim, and the Great Scottish Swim. All of these swims are organised by Great Swim and you can find out details for all the events at www.greatswim.org .
All over the world there are hundreds of swimming competitions for anyone to participate in every year. Remember to let us know when you secure a place so we can help you to kick start your fundraising efforts.
Cycling is an incredibly popular sport with big events held annually in the UK, Europe, USA, Australia and many more.
Here are some websites to help you find events near you.
www.ukcyclingevents.co.uk - UK only cycling events
http://www.bike-events.com - Worldwide cycling events
Fancy something really challenging?
There are many triathlons to take part in all over the world and they are a great way to set yourself a huge challenge. One of the biggest and most hardcore of all triathlons are the Ironman Triathlons organised by theWorld Triathlon Corporation (WTC). These take place all over the world with over 110 races to choose from. You can find out more details and discover a race near you by visiting http://eu.ironman.com.
Ever fancied jumping out of a plane and raising money for orangutans at the same time? Well, now is your chance. Skyline organise tandem skydives all over the country; check them out here - http://www.skylinecharity.co.uk/skydiving.aspx .
The websites below can help you to find a whole range of events all over the world which anyone can take part in and fundraise for Orangutan Appeal UK.
http://www.srichinmoyraces.org - Worldwide multiple events
http://humanrace.co.uk - UK multiple events
http://www.doitforcharity.com – UK multiple events
There are literally thousands of things that you can do to fundraise and they don’t have to leave you out of breath. Here are a few of our favourites:
ORANGUTAN TEA PARTY
We launched our Orangutan Tea Parties in 2012 and they have been a very popular way for our supporters to raise some funds for the charity. We have made it very easy for anyone to get their tea party started with downloadable posters, invites and recipe ideas.
It is a great way to have fun, catch up with friends and spread the word about the plight of the orangutan.
Here are a few more ideas to get you inspired.
• Dress as an orangutan at work/school for a day
• Palm oil free cake sale
• Bring and buy event
• Say “yes” to everything day (within reason!)
• Quiz night
• Dinner Party (Malay food themed)
• Spare change collection at work
All of our fundraisers are very important to us, we appreciate every run, swim, walk, cycle, cake sale, fancy dress day and sponsored silence that our dedicated supporters give up their time to organise and take part in.
Here are a few of our amazing supporters that have fundraised for us telling us why they did it and what they thought of it.
“Orangutans are so human like, it is impossible not to fall in love with them and not want to help them.”
Carly has been a supporter of Orangutan Appeal UK since 2007 since hearing about us while her friend was volunteering out at the Sepilok Orangutan Rehabilitation Centre in Sabah, Borneo.
Carly has since visited the centre herself as a volunteer, and describes how she saw “firsthand the importance of rescue centres, donations and raising awareness [in saving] these beautiful animals from extinction”.
Over the last three years Carly has worked tirelessly to raise funds for Orangutan Appeal UK, one of her biggest challenges was the London to Brighton Bike Ride from which she raised over £2000 for the charity!
When we asked Carly if she would do it again, she said “Absolutely! I will continue to sign up for events and challenges as long as I am able to and will raise what I can for the orangutans”.
Carly hosts a JustGiving page where she raises money constantly for Orangutan Appeal UK through various means. You can visit her page here - http://www.justgiving.com/helpingsepilok
Thank you Carly for all of your hard work!
“These beautiful beings who are the closest to us on earth could be extinct...I wanted to do something to prevent that from happening.”
Sharon has always had a passion for orangutans and her determination to help them was reinforced after she watched a television programme about them a few years ago. The programme explained how the orangutan habitat is being destroyed for many reason including palm oil plantations and the increasing pet trade. Sharon explained how “it struck a nerve and [she] sobbed” when it showed an orangutan mother that had been killed so her baby could be taken for a pet.
Wanting to help, Sharon searched for a charity that needed her and she found Orangutan Appeal UK: she has been a committed and dedicated supporter ever since. Sharon was the first to host an Orangutan Tea Party from which she raised £215 and had a lot of fun. Asked if she would do it again she said “Absolutely and the kids keep mentioning it so I have to!”
Sharon has continued to fundraise for Orangutan Appeal UK in various ways, most recently doing a collection at work for Orangutan Caring Week and has now been made an Orangutan Appeal UK Ambassador.
Thank you for all of your hard work Sharon!
Online fundraising can seem daunting as there are so many online fundraising pages to choose from. Here are a few of our favourites.
www.justgiving.com. You simply search Orangutan Appeal UK and it will help you every step of the way to set up a page.
www.virginmoneygiving.com. A very well organised online giving site that guides you through every step.
www.doitforcharity.com For this one, you will need to have selected an event hosted on their page.
With a world that is fast moving online, the benefits of setting up an online giving page are huge. You can link it to your social media pages which will allow you to maximise your fundraising capability and it is a great way to direct people to all the information they need. It is also hassle-free as once you have set up the page, you can relax and watch the money come in without having to keep track of physical money donations. Remember though to keep your online page updated with progress reports, photos and personal stories about why this cause is important to you.
Some people are not online, so it is still important to display sponsorship forms. These are great to have up at work or at your local gym or pub (with the owner’s permission). Just remember to collect the money from your sponsors after the event.
Money collected via your online fundraising will automatically be sent to the charity so you do not have to worry about that. Money collected through other means can be donated to the charity in various ways. You can pay the money straight into any HSBC branch, the account details can be found here - http://www.orangutan-appeal.org.uk/donate#bank-transfer. If you choose to pay in this way, please leave your name as a reference and email us as soon as the payment is made with your name, how much was raised and from what event.
Alternatively, you can pay into your own bank and either make a payment via the website (include the details of your event in the customer comments) or send us a cheque. Please make the cheque payable to Orangutan Appeal UK and send to 11 Forest Hall, Lyndhurst Road, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, SO42 7QQ. Please also send us details of your events along with the cheque.
Please do not send any cash in the post.
Fundraising for Orangutan Appeal UK just got easier. Here are some ways that you can raise funds without moving a muscle (well, almost!)
Give as you Live are an organisation which you can sign up to and then when you buy online, the retailers donate a percentage of your total spend to a charity of your choice. Please sign up now and select Orangutan Appeal UK as your chosen charity. It costs you nothing but will help our work immensely. You can join us now by following this link: www.giveasyoulive.com/join/orangutanappeal
Giveacar is a not-for-profit social enterprise that can turn your old car into cash for any UK charity. They arrange free collection, then either sell your car at auction or scrap it with the proceeds raised going to your selected charity, such as Orangutan Appeal UK. You can donate your car here - http://giveacar.co.uk/donate
Recycling items such as unwanted jewellery or old mobile phones is a great way to raise funds for us while being good to the environment. You can order your envelopes to fill with recyclable items here - http://recyclingforgoodcauses.org/uk_envelopes.php
• Can I use the Orangutan Appeal UK logo on my fundraising materials / product / website?
• You must adhere to the guidelines laid out in the Fundraising Pack. You must not change the logo in any way and you must ensure you represent Orangutan Appeal UK correctly.
• Can I claim Gift Aid on the funds I have raised?
• To claim Gift Aid on your fundraising, we must have the first name or initials, last name, full home address and postcode of each individual donor/sponsor. So please encourage them to tick the Gift Aid box on your sponsorship form when they sponsor you. Without these details we legally can't claim Gift Aid
• How do I donate the funds I have raised?
• Paying in your donation is simple. You can pay it online via our Donations page or post us a cheque payable to Orangutan Appeal UK to Fundraising, New Forest Estate Offices, Lyndhurst Road, Brockenhurst, Hampshire, SO42 7RL
• Can Orangutan Appeal UK provide me with merchandise to sell?
• Unfortunately not. We ask for you to purchase the merchandise from us first and then you may sell it on. Please note we are not able to refund items you have been unable to sell.
• Can I do a street collection?
• You may need to obtain a licence before organising a street collect dependent on your local council. This also includes the collection of money in public places e.g. a shop doorway or car park.
If you wish to collect in a pub or local supermarket you will need written permission from the landlord/manager. All collectors must be over the age of 16.
For UK collectors please visit www.gov.uk/street-collection-licence to find out the licence requirements in your area.
• Can Orangutan Appeal UK provide me with insurance for my event?
• No, we are not able to provide insurance. You must make sure that you have proper insurance to cover your event. This may be covered by the venue but you must check this in advance.
• Is there a certain amount of money I need to raise?
• Any amount of money you can raise can make a difference. We are grateful for any amount no matter how small. By organising a fundraising event you are also creating awareness and spreading the word of the plight of the orangutan – this is vitally important
• If you are taking part in one of the more popular running events such as the Brighton Marathon or Great North Run and want a guaranteed place we do ask that you pay a registration fee, which covers part of the cost of the place to us, and commit to raising a minimum amount of sponsorship. These can vary between the different events and is because such places, which we will have already paid for, are often in high demand and we need to know that you will really commit to helping the charity. For details of particular events email Nick on email@example.com
• Can I get resources to help promote my fundraising event?
• You can find resources such as posters and Sponsorship forms in the fundraising pack.
• We are happy to send you orangutan photos, adoption leaflets and newsletters if you would like to display these or hand out to friends and family to encourage them to support you. To request these please email Nick on firstname.lastname@example.org and he’ll be happy to send stuff out to you.